You will get Past Tense Exercises with Answers in this Grammar practice section. There are four types of Past Tenses and you can practice them in this post.
1. Past Indefinite Tense or Simple Past Tense
2. Past Continuous Tense
3. Past Perfect Tense
4. Past Perfect Continuous Tense
Before starting the practice with Past Tense Exercises, we recommend revising the Past Tense tutorials here. You can also check out 100+ Past Tense examples with Hindi translations.
These exercises are available in multiple formats. You can practice fill-in-the-blanks, tense conversion, and rewriting, Translation, Identifications etc.
Let’s move to the Past Tense Exercises:
Past Tense Fill in the blanks Exercises
In these Past Tense exercises, you will find all four types of Past Tense to practice and need to fill in the correct form of verbs.
- She _________ (walk) to the park yesterday.
- We _________ (visit) our grandparents last weekend.
- She ___________ (drive) to work when she saw the accident.
- They _________ (eat) dinner at a fancy restaurant last night.
- I _________ (watch) a movie on Netflix last night.
- I (saw, seen) that movie last week.
- She (had, have) a great time at the party.
- He ___________ (study) for the test when his friends called.
- We (ate, eaten) lunch at noon.
- By the time I arrived at the party, everyone ___________ (already leave).
- She ___________ (study) for three hours before taking a break.
- The train ___________ (depart) by the time we got to the station.
- We ___________ (dance) at the party when the power went out.
- They ___________ (play) soccer when it started raining.
- He ___________ (work) on the project for a week when he realized he made a mistake.
- She ___________ (study) for three hours when her friends called her.
Past Tense Conversion/Rewriting Exercises
Read the following sentences carefully and rewrite them as indicated in the brackets.
- She cooked dinner for her family. (Past Perfect)
- We slept late on Sunday morning. (Past Continuous)
- I finished my homework before I went to bed. (Past Perfect)
- She ate breakfast before she went to work. (Past Perfect Continuous)
- They dance every Friday night. (Simple Past)
- We swim in the ocean. (Past Continuous)
- She had eaten breakfast before she went to work. (Simple Past)
- I played video games all night. (Past Perfect Continuous)
- She had been cooking dinner for her family for two hours. (Simple Past)
- I have just completed my homework. (Past Perfect)
- She does not weep. (Simple Past)
- My sister goes to school every day. (Past Continuous)
- Our school opens in the month of April. (Past Perfect)
- Don’t you play basketball? (Past Perfect)
- Sarika is not washing the clothes. (Simple Past)
Past Tense Translation Exercises
Translate the following sentences into the Past Tenses by following the correct sentence formation rules.
- मैं कल घर नहीं गया।
- वे खाना खा चुके थे।
- मैंने उसे कल देखा था।
- हम सोमवार को शहर जा चुके थे।
- वह अपने दोस्तों के साथ रहा था।
- हम पिछले हफ्ते समुद्र तट पर गए थे।
- उन्होंने अपनी परीक्षाओं के लिए एक महीने तक अध्ययन किया था।
- मैंने पहले उस फिल्म को देखा था।
- वह दो घंटे से क्रिकेट खेल रहा था।
- उसने कल अपने परिवार के लिए रात का खाना पकाया था।
Past Tense Exercises – Paragraph Translation
1. Translate the following paragraph from English to Hindi by following the Past Tense rules:
Yesterday, I woke up early and had breakfast. After that, I went to the gym and worked out for an hour. Then, I came back home and took a shower. In the afternoon, I met my friends, and we went to watch a movie. We had a great time and enjoyed the movie. After the movie, we had dinner together and talked for a while. Finally, I went back home and went to bed early.
2. Translate the following paragraph from Hindi to English
पिछले सप्ताह मैं अपने दोस्तों के साथ फिल्म देखने गया था। हमने एक कॉफी शॉप में मिलने की योजना बनाई थी और वहां से फिल्म के लिए निकले। फिल्म देखने के बाद हम रेस्तरां में खाना खाने गए थे और फिर घर लौट आए।
3. Translate the following paragraph from English to Hindi
Yesterday, the sun rose early, casting a warm glow across the land. Birds chirped, and butterflies danced in the gentle breeze. I woke up and stretched, feeling the remnants of a pleasant dream slip away. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee filled the kitchen, and I enjoyed a leisurely breakfast. Later, I met my friends at the park, where we played games and laughed together. As the day progressed, we explored new places, discovering hidden treasures and creating lasting memories. It was a day filled with joy, laughter, and beautiful moments.
4. Translate the following Past tense paragraph from Hindi to English
एक बार की बात है, एक गांव में एक बच्चा रहता था। वह बच्चा बहुत उत्साही और जिज्ञासु था। उसके पास एक पुरानी किताब थी, जिसमें सभी देशों के बारे में जानकारी थी। उसने सोचा, “मैं यह किताब दूसरे बच्चों के साथ साझा करूँगा।” उसने अपने दोस्तों को बुलाया और उन्हें किताब के बारे में बताया। सभी ने मिलकर देशों के बारे में सीखा और उन्होंने बहुत मज़े किए। वे सबने मिलकर एक साथ एक अद्भुत सफ़र किया।
Past Tense Exercises – Sentence Correction
In these Past Tense exercises, correct the sentences by applying the correct Past Tense rule. If you have not already, please check the Tenses tutorials here.
- I had knew her for six years.
- She had not play the match.
- The train had departed before I reach the station.
- He did not cooked the food.
- Did he not helped you?
- They had been waiting for me since two hours.
- It had been raining for last evening.
- Ramesh had already inform me.
- Rita had been not waiting for you since three months.
- If I had a pen, I will give you.
- Did he came yesterday?
- Were they played football?
- She gone to Jaipur.
- He had not went to Delhi.
- Were she not cooking?
In this post, we have provided a variety of Past Tense exercises for you to practice. Take your time going through each exercise, as some questions may be easier than others. Keep practicing to improve your grasp of the tenses.
It’s best to try answering all the Past Tense Exercises questions before reviewing the answers.
Below you will fine all the solutions for the above Past Tense exercises. These are to review your answers once you’ve practiced the above exercises.
Fill in the blanks:
1. went 2. visited 3. was driving 4. ate 5. watched 6. saw 7. had 8. was studying 9. ate 10. had already left 11. had studied 12. had departed 13. were dancing 14. were playing 15. had been working 16. had been studying
- She had cooked dinner for her family.
- We were sleeping late on Sunday morning.
- I had finished my homework before I went to bed.
- She had eaten her breakfast before she went to work.
- They danced every Friday night.
- We were swimming in the ocean.
- She ate breakfast before she went to work.
- I had been playing video game all night.
- She cooked dinner for her family.
- I had just completed my homework.
- She did not weep.
- My sister was going to school every day.
- Our school had opened in the month of April.
- Hadn’t you played basketball?
- Sarika did not wash the clothes.
Translation Exercise Solutions
- I did not go home yesterday.
- They had eaten the food.
- I saw her yesterday.
- We had gone to the city on Monday.
- He had lived with his friends.
- We went to the beach last week.
- They had studied for their exams for one month.
- I already saw that movie.
- He had been playing cricket for two hours.
- He cooked dinner for his family yesterday.
- कल, मैं सुबह जल्दी उठ गया और नाश्ता किया। उसके बाद, मैं जिम गया और एक घंटे तक व्यायाम किया। फिर, मैं घर लौट आया और नहाया। दोपहर में, मैं अपने दोस्तों से मिला और हम एक फिल्म देखने चले गए। हमने मजेदार समय बिताया और फिल्म का आनंद लिया। फिल्म के बाद, हमने साथ में रात का खाना खाया और कुछ देर बातचीत की। अंत में, मैं घर वापस गया और जल्दी सो गया।
- Last week, I went to watch a movie with my friends. We had planned to meet at a coffee shop and then proceeded to the cinema from there. After watching the movie, we went to a restaurant to have dinner and then returned home.
- कल, सूरज जल्दी निकला, पूरे देश में एक गर्म चमक बिखेर रहा था। पक्षियों की चहचहाहट, और तितलियों ने कोमल हवा में नृत्य किया। मैं उठा और फैला, एक सुखद सपने के अवशेषों को फिसलते हुए महसूस कर रहा था। ताज़ी बनी कॉफ़ी की सुगंध से रसोई भर गई, और मैंने इत्मीनान से नाश्ते का आनंद लिया। बाद में, मैं अपने दोस्तों से पार्क में मिला, जहाँ हमने खेल खेले और साथ में हँसे। जैसे-जैसे दिन चढ़ता गया, हमने नए स्थानों की खोज की, छिपे हुए खजाने की खोज की और स्थायी यादें बनाईं। यह खुशी, हंसी और खूबसूरत पलों से भरा दिन था।
- Once upon a time, there was a child who lived in a village. The child was very enthusiastic and curious. He had an old book that contained information about all the countries. He thought, “I will share this book with other children.” He called his friends and told them about the book. Together, they learned about different countries and had a lot of fun. They all embarked on a wonderful journey together.
- I had known her for six years.
- She had not played the match.
- The train had departed before I reached the station.
- He did not cook the food.
- Did he not help you?
- They had been waiting for me for two hours.
- It had been raining since last evening.
- Ramesh had already informed me.
- Rita had not been waiting for you for three months.
- If I had a pen, I would have given you.
- Did he come yesterday?
- Were they playing football?
- She went to Jaipur.
- He had not gone to Delhi.
- Was she not cooking?
Those were all of the Past Tense exercises with solutions that you can practice. If you find any errors or doubts, please feel free to share them with us. We will continue to update the post with more Past Tense Exercises.
For access to paid online courses, test series and live classes, you may now download Vector Tutorials App.